Friday, September 14, 2012

Sandwiched…

 

IMG_0982Being a daughter, wife, mother, and grandmother has led to the best times of my life. My mother has been a great parent and friend to me and a wonderful caregiver to many of our family members over the years. Mom wanted to be a nurse—but financial constraints and life, in general, never allowed her to follow that path. Instead, she checked groceries in one of the local supermarkets in the town where I grew up. My father worked in the oil field as a laborer for most of his life. He passed away when I was 18 years old after suffering a heart attack (40 years ago). I have always been sad that I didn’t get to know him as an adult.

About four years ago mom fell and broke her right arm and fractured her hip. To enable me to care for her we moved mom from an apartment a few miles away into a small guest house about 50 feet from my kitchen door. Shortly after her hip had been surgically stabilized, her femur literally snapped into when she turned from the toilet to the sink. Severe osteoporosis has made her bones brittle and fragile. Her recovery has been agonizingly slow and has taken quite a toll on her physically, emotionally and mentally. Almost exactly a year ago it became clear that mom needed to be in the house with me for her own safety and well being. As her needs have increased I have been able to fill in the gap and hopefully that will be possible for a long time to come. She has shared many sweet stories and some tragic events about her life with me over this past year.

Being mommy was (and still is) wonderful, and I love my daughter with all my heart. The challenge with parenting is influencing your child’s every day being and hoping that you are making the right decisions. Amanda grew into an independent, strong woman with drive and ambition. Her artistic abilities are amazing, and her home is inviting with a personality that reflects the individual that she has always been. She is married to a man that I adore. Todd, a twin, is a good provider and loves his family. As one of two, he had to learn to share most everything in his life (including his birthday), while Amanda was an only child and rarely had to share much of anything. Todd’s dry sense of humor makes me laugh, and his ethics make me proud. My husband and I love spending time with them and appreciate that they are adults leading their own lives. Together, they blessed us with Mia, our beautiful granddaughter. However, moms are on duty 24/7 and that is best left for young people. Becoming a grandmother is different, only fleeting moments of fun-filled special times are there to be cherished. Those sweet moments pass in the blink of an eye. Mia lives about five hours from us, so any time she comes to stay with us is bonus time!  

My life seems somewhat similar to the quilts that I so dearly love. I don’t always get to spend the time quilting or blogging about quilting that I would love to be doing. I am often busy with mom (the top of the quilt) and occasionally with Mia (the bottom of the quilt). I love the top and the bottom of the quilt, but each has it’s own challenges. I guess I sometimes feel like the batting in the middle of that quilt sandwich, being pulled into shape while trying to balance a life with my husband, who is the love of my life. Mark is giving and kind to me and to my mother. Of course, Mia has him wrapped tightly around her heart. Mark and I have always remained friends, first and foremost in our marriage of 39 years. He respects me for who I am, an unorganized, messy crazy woman who loves to quilt and is almost always late for everything. Before my father died, Mark made a promise to him that he would take care of me. He has kept that promise and much more.

Since returning from our trip to Rhode Island, it has been hard to get back to daily quilting. Our trip was great fun and a bit wearing on both me and mom. I yearn for the peacefulness that quilting gives me. IMG_1085Just had a few hours on the machine over the weekend and about an hour this morning and that little bit of time did wonders for my soul.

As time permits I am continuing to work on Lovely Lou for my sweet Amanda…

2 comments:

  1. You have a GREAT ability to write! Your words draw me into your story and I can't wait to hear/read more! Write a book, just tell your story and it will inspire others. -April :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. April, thank you. Your compliment is one of the nicest I have ever received. My husband teases me and says I just like to hear myself talk (in writing). I just got my settings fixed so that I can reply. I will be following your progress and looking forward to visiting further.

    Emma

    ReplyDelete