Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Finally, Setting Triangles finished…Let’s go Pebbling

 

IMG_0777Finally, I have finished outlining all of the flowers in the setting triangles on this huge quilt. Never in a million years did I think about the triangles taking as long as they did, but there have been many interruptions. I love the thread build up and the final effect. Amanda was pleased when she saw them in person. Now I can move on. I initially quilted feather wreaths in each of the blocks (with some really ugly stitches) but they are going to stay just as they are.

I am moving to the sashing now to try my hand at pebbling. My mom asks me every day if I am finished with the quilt, and my answer is not yet. She thinks I have gone completely bonkers. I am enjoying the process and the learning that has occurred in making this quilt, but I may take the prize for the longest time ever  spent quilting on one quilt. Oh well, I am in no hurry and want to make “Lovely Lou” absolutely beautiful for my daughter. She is certainly worth every stitch and every hour put into this effort of love.

 

I am joining Connie’s Linky Party today over at Freemotion by the River. I love seeing what other quilters are doing and always get some kind of inspiration. Thank you, Connie for hosting!    Freemotion by the River Linky Tuesday button

My first attempts at Pebbling…

IMG_1144   IMG_1145   IMG_1146

I just finished watching Leah Day’s Pebbling Tutorial for the sixth or seventh time today, and the above is evidence that practice is certainly required to master this filler design. However, instead of stitching on scraps, I have used this quilt “Lovely Lou” upon which to learn Free Motion Quilting. So ugly stitches, pitiful traveling skill and all, I am continuing to learn from the generosity of Leah Day and other bloggers. The above block is only a 2” square out of this quilt and I figure by the time I stitch all of those 2” squares I should have pebbling down pat, at least at this scale.

I would like to know from other quilters, would you stitch in the ditch around each 2” block to contain the pebbling or allow the back to have a more free-form organic look to it, without a box stitched around the pebbling. Amanda loves the idea of using this quilt as a reversible bedspread on her king size bed. What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. I love Leah Day's blog and tutorials on FMQ! She does such a great job!! Thanks for stopping by and visiting me! I'm going to wander around your blog for a bit, now! Did you know you're a no-reply blogger?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise, thank you so much for your help in changing my settings. Just as you said, easy peasy! I find quilters to be some of the kindest people around. Yes, I do love Leah Day. She is so down to earth and her work is just incredible. She is a natural teacher, something that can't be taught.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt with the flowers is looking beautiful! Leah has some wonderful tutorials doesn't she! I usually just pebble without stitching around a block first. Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion at the River Linky Party Tuesday

    ReplyDelete